Tuesday, September 27, 2016

What A Life To Live

Life may just be the most important thing you do. What life will you live? Why live it like everyone else?

I guess it comes down to what you want out of life and whether or not fate will let you have what you desire.

Whether it will be a life of normalcy or rather on of abnormality, it will be the only one you get. It will be the most jam packed thing you will ever experience, while simultaneously being the most boring thing.

You can be john doe with 2.5 children, a mundane job, and a comfy retirement in humid Florida or Mohammed, a man who had to flee his country in hopes of survival or the grandma who lives on my street who digs through the trash every day just to pull old used monopoly boards from their impending doom.

Life is precious.

The preacher's message of life is not a new concept, yet I see so many treat others lives as though they are not as important.

Are particular lives more precious and important than others?

If so, what gives a life its value?

Right now more than ever, there are massive movements declaring the importance of lives.

Black lives matter.

Blue lives matter.

Refugee lives matter.

All lives matter.

Dog mom lives matter.

All of these lives hold value to someone. Everyone has someone who cares for them. Why does it seem that quite often so many lives overlap, yet have different values depending on the path it takes.

What will be the path that my life takes? I've met so many people that have led perfectly normal lives. People who have found someone else to have a few children with, raised said children to adulthood and then sent them off to follow in their footsteps. All the while working a mundane job, saving just enough to support their families and live comfortably.

In my life, I've been able to meet so many who fall into the category of normalcy that it would be truly impossible to count.

I know that my life holds value to some but yet to entire nations, I am nothing.

Throughout history, we have forgotten billions of lives. Some cultures have ancient ceremonial events to honor the value of their ancestor's lives. The same cultures that forgot I exist. I am able to come to terms with being insignificant to most of the world.

The question that has been on my tongue for awhile is, why spend your own precious life trying to degrade and take away from others precious lives?

I understand valuing your own life and the lives of your family but how can you forget that there are billions of other families.

I hope that one day I can find who I am and be able to live my life to the best of my abilities. Maybe I will end up a Joe Blow with 2.5 kids and a lame job, but I don't want to forget what I felt this night. Half asleep after getting off from a long work week.

Remembering that life is precious.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, well that's a wake up call for sure. I struggle with seeing the value in life pretty regularly, especially when I'm sick as a dog or dealing with incompetent contractors.

    I will try to take what you say to heart. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete