Thursday, November 3, 2016

Twitter competition

I have never really been competitive but there is a certain satisfaction you gain when you put your everything into something in an attempt to be the best.

This week I get NO so such satisfaction.

I made a quite sad attempt at winning this competition.

I've never been one who has used social media to actually communicate and socialize with others. I've never really posted anything on facebook or twitter unless it has been a request, either by family or for a class.

It's just not my thing.

That does not make my attempt any less sad.

I was to put aside my personal beliefs and rituals in order to branch out and learn new things, such as online rhetoric. Not only to learn about it but to utilize everything I learn to achieve a decent grade in my classes.

I don't believe that I've done this to the best of my abilities.

I only made 2 tweets during the week of the competition. Both of which, we're cheesy Halloween jokes. I hoped that these tweets would make people retweet the post and hopefully follow for future jokes.

This did not work out the way I intended it to. Nobody seemed to notice that I had tweeted. It is challenging to get others to acknowledge what you've done, let alone to share you work.

I've never really spent time on twitter looking at how people rise to twitter fame. I haven't ever really spent any time on twitter period. But my brief amount of time has been used to look up new music that I may enjoy.

So to try and use twitter to gain followers by tweeting short messages, was just a little too much for me. I was unable to really comprehend how the "twittershpere" operates.

It seems to be a sort of chaotic yet ritualistic ecosystem that I cannot seem to find a hole into which I can integrate myself. I looked up a few hash tags while I was in this competition and found that many people retweeted things I simply did not understand, such as people just talking about going to a Halloween costume party.

I do not understand how such a tweet merits sharing.

People share and retweet for themselves, this I understand. But the sharing of others tweets does not quite make as much sense to me.

Maybe I will never understand the exact purpose of social media but I have faith that eventually, I will be able to use them to my advantage.

Obviously it will take more time and effort than I devoted to this competition.

I know that I had the potential to do better but I believe that my own personal al quirks an anxieties kept me from putting my everything onto the competition and assignment.

1 comment:

  1. It's a fair amount of work to get noticed but it can be accomplished, sometimes even to good effects. In fact, I have a friend who runs a geological consulting company for precious minerals who has gotten a number of clients because of his presence on social media.

    ReplyDelete